- Rest and avoid placing weight on your knee. This will help the surrounding muscles heal.
- Ice to alleviate swelling and pain.
- Compress by wrapping your knee with an elastic bandage, which will help reduce swelling.
- Elevate your knee by placing it higher than your heart.
What does knee contusion mean?
A knee contusion, or bruising of the knee, is a mild sports injury that can occur as a result of a direct impact to the knee. When a bruise or contusion occurs, the small blood vessels get damaged and blood leaks out under the skin causing the typical swelling and bruising seen in these injuries.
What do you do for a swollen knee after a fall?
- Rest by staying off the injured leg as much as possible for the first day or two.
- Ice your knee or use a cold compress for intervals of 15 to 20 minutes (on, then off) for the first day.
- Compress the knee by wrapping it in an elastic bandage to help decrease swelling.
What is the fastest way to heal a knee contusion?
How are contusions treated?
- Rest. Rest the area whenever possible.
- Ice. Apply a cold compress to the area to reduce swelling.
- Compress. Compress the bruised area with a wrap or bandage to reduce swelling.
- Elevate. If possible, raise the affected area above your heart.
What happens if you leave a broken knee untreated?
When a bone fracture is untreated, it can result in either a nonunion or a delayed union. In the former case, the bone doesn’t heal at all, which means that it will remain broken. As a result, swelling, tenderness, and pain will continue to worsen over time.
What should I do if I have a contusion to my knee?
Treatment of knee contusions. They may prescribe anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen to reduce pain and swelling. Ice should, of course, be applied as soon as possible and continued for at least the first 24 to 48 hours.
How to treat a swollen knee at the Mayo Clinic?
Swollen knee 1 Diagnosis. Your doctor is likely to start with a detailed history and physical examination. 2 Treatment. Treatment varies, depending on the cause of the swollen knee,… 3 Lifestyle and home remedies. Avoid weight-bearing activities as much as possible… 4 Preparing for your appointment. You are likely to be referred…
How is heat used to treat knee contusion?
This way the excess fluid will drain out from the knee and the swelling will be reduced. Heat. There are many other strategies that may be beneficial for the treatment of a bruised knee. For example, the heat can also promote the recovery of a knee contusion.
What causes a contusion or bruise on the knee?
A knee contusion or bruised knee occurs due to an impact on the knee. This can be due to a fall directly onto the knee or something hitting the knee, such as a ball or club. A contusion is a medical term for a bruise. Treatment depends on how bad your injury is. Symptoms of a bruised knee include instant pain at the time of injury.